All three and four year olds are currently eligible for 15 hours per week, the term after their third birthday. From September 2017 the Government is now providing 30 hours of funding for working parents who meet the eligibility criteria below.
- They earn or expect to earn the equivalent to 16 hours at National Minimum or Living Wage over the coming three months.
- This equates to £120 a week (or c.£6,000 a year) for each parent over 25 years old or £112.80 a week (or c.£5,800 a year) for each parent between 21 and 24 years old and £56 a week for apprentices in their first year. This applies whether you are in paid employment, self-employed or on zero hours contract.
- Where one or both parents are on maternity, paternity, shared parental or adoption leave, or if they are on statutory sick leave.
- Where one parent meets the income criteria and the other is unable to work because they are disabled, have caring responsibilities or have been assessed as having limited capability to work.
- If one or both parents is a non-EEA national, the parent applying must have recourse to public funds.
How we will provide this
As a business we have made the decision to offer the 30 hour funding over a year, this means your child is entitled to 22 funded hours each week all year round. Due to the timings of our sessions, 20 of these hours can be used through full sessions in a variety of ways. Please see examples below.
4 x 5 hour morning sessions
2 full days
The remaining 2 hours per week will be offset against the price of a paid session to provide wrap around care. If you do not wish to pay for the wrap around care before and after the remaining 2 hours of funding, these unfortunately cannot be carried over and would therefore be lost.
What do I need to do next?
If you think you may be entitled to the 30 hours funding you need to apply on the Milton Keynes council website www.milton-keynescouncil.gov.uk under the ‘Children, young people and families’ section and create an account where if you will be asked to input your details and if eligible, receive your funding code.
As a setting we are eager to provide the opportunity to as many of our families as possible however, due to meeting the needs and being flexible in how parent’s access the funded hours we will be opening the 30 hour scheme to an initial number of families. This means if you are eligible please bring in your code to the nursery reception with the parental contract completed which tells us how you would like to use your funded sessions, we will consider your application as part of the application process ensuring the sessions you prefer are taken into consideration.
Please note we are unable to reserve funded hours without the completed parental form and code, once we receive your code we are required to verify before moving to the next stage of access to your preferred funded hours.
Extra information for you.
You will be prompted via email or text message every three months to log onto your account to confirm if you are still eligible. If your eligibility changes or you fail to reconfirm, you are then given a grace period before the 30 hours ends and is replaced with the original 15 hours.